The final end to factory #05 on March 1, 2012. This is the north-east corner of the factory, located at Division Street and Stewart Avenue. The green arrow in the photo below, shows the area and direction. Another updated photo from Leonard Thygesen.
Here is factory #05 in 1955. It is all gone now. “Lets hope we wont need any of these experienced workers or factories again”? Only time will tell. This post deals with the intake pipe built here during World War II. The Pipe was used on the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engines which were used on the B-17 and B-24 heavy four engine bombers.
This collage shows the arrangement for the B-24 version with the turbo-supercharger which was the reason for the elliptical engine cowlings. The engine cylinder at the lower right shows the location of the intake pipe.
(of different configuration) were required for each engine.
A side on view showing the locations of the intake pipes. These pipes went directly into the Supercharger. As you can see in this photo, this engine is not destined for a bomber. This would be the same engine configuration that was used in the four engine B-17 Heavy bomber (which did not use the “TURBO-SUPERCHARGER”) that was used on the four engine B-24 Liberator. The Liberator B-24 lent it’s nickname to this engine.
This diagram (overlaid) on a real R-1830 Pratt & Whitney engine, shows the intake pipes in their relative locations. This also shows the exhaust ports without those pipes in place. The exhaust pipes were made by Fisher Body in Detroit. Links: